Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Self esteem Buster


I had to work today. It went pretty good. Kids at any age react differently to a new teacher, so I had to lay down the law. For a group of four year olds, this entails saying "I like it when you are sitting down, I like the way you are listening, is writing on the table really the best choice..." Yep, I fell back into teacher mode just fine. After working, I went over to my parent's house for lunch. I picked up the girls after school and was chatting with a few other moms with two children. One of them made a comment, "how did you do it with the kiddos so close together?" I responded, "I have no idea, I just lived day by day." I wanted to add a few glasses of wine here and there made all of the difference. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good about my mothering skills, I was tossing out advice right and left. I was feeling like a very competent mom. I should have known while riding on this high of praise, that I would come crashing down. The other shoe just had to drop at some point.

I was putting Claire into the car. She was throwing a full on fit, I wrestled her into the car seat, threw my keys in the front seat and closed the door. I went to load Ella into the car when I noticed that her car door was locked. I calmly walked around to the other door and it was locked too. I could feel my heart start to race as I checked all of the doors..all locked. I felt like vomiting, I could feel the sweat building up under my pits (Degree prescription strength does not work ladies, save yourself the $$). I ran over to my friends and informed them of the situation. They were such a calming force, I had to borrow a cell phone since mine was in the car. I looked into my car window and there lay my keys mocking me. At least Claire was content, she loved having everyone stare at her in the window. I called 311, they transferred me to 911. Embarrassing...the guy asked if I wanted the firetruck to come with sirens and lights. I muttered no, and tried not to start crying. I felt like such an idiot. As the truck approached I contemplated crawling under my car in embarrassment. I resisted the desire and dealt with the situation at hand. Thank goodness they did not send the "hot" fire guys, it was embarrassing enough trying to hide my pit stains. Claire loved having the firemen work on her door. So I learned my lesson, super mom I am not. WE all try hard but parenting is messy. You aren't trying if you aren't crying here and there! I sadly felt better once I read the article about Jennifer Garner doing the same thing..hey at least I didn't have the paparazzi watching!

3 comments:

Christina said...

I worry about doing that all the time... when Emma is not cooperating it's so easy to drop the keys while dealing with a tantrum, etc.... i've definitely been there!

Rachel Lyn said...

Been there, done that. At least I have my own personal fireman at my disposal! Good thing it wasn't 110 degrees outside. Glad the girls got a kick out of it. :)

John said...

Luckily, Lindsay has learned to unlock her door, hopefully removing any possibility of your experience! I hope you drank several bottles of wine once you were home with the kids fast asleep!

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS