Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Freckles


Being a redhead I have always had freckles, and I have always HATED them. I use to wish I was one of those pale pasty redheads without the curse of the freckle. I have always loved my hair, but my freckles...not so much. They don't bother me in the winter, but if I am out in the sun for any length of time, regardless of the amount to SPF I slather on they get darker. A day at the beach and I really look speckled. I hated the teasing and the nasty looks other children gave me growing up. I thought I was over that, but apparently some of the freckle hater resentment still bubbles to the surface. Today I was enjoying my hour break after working before I picked up the kiddos. I had stopped for a bite to eat and was sitting outside the restaurant enjoying the 75 degree day. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a little girl staring at me. I ignored her at first, but then smiled at her. She grimaced and turned away. She was probably about 6 years old and decked out in boutique wear (you know the animal print, sequins, and ruffle stuff). Her mother and her friends were chatting up a storm about the new Coach purse collection. I was eavesdropping a bit I must admit. I took a bite of my sandwich and look up and there was Little Miss Boutique about 3 inches from me staring. I smiled again and said hello. She scurried off, and attempted to get her mother's attention. When she was finally successful she piped up in a shrill little voice, "What is wrong with that ladies face??"
" I don't know, she probably has some condition or something", the mother replied without even glancing at me. My inner bitch was seriously attempting to come out. Once again, I looked up after taking a bite of my sandwich and saw the little girl inches from my face. So I told her in a very sweet way, "I have freckles on my face and my arms. I like to call them angel kisses." This seemed to satisfy her curiosity. She spent the next few minutes discovering that she had three angel kisses. She walked over to her mom and studied her, while she was engrossed in a heated debate over shoulder pads. The mother finally sick of being stared at said, "What?" The little girl replied, "Mom, angels don't like you at all!" I couldn't help it, I started to giggle. The woman shot me an evil glance. I just shrugged my shoulders and gleefully finished my sandwich. Thanks Little Miss Boutique girl!!

2 comments:

Rachel Lyn said...

That is hysterical! You are beautiful. :)

Julianne said...

That is an awesome story! I love it. And I love red-heads. Bring on the freckles, I say, because the glorious flaming hair is soooo worth it.

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS