Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

anti June Cleaver style


Today the New York Times has a lengthy piece on couples that strive for equal parenting/chores — and the reasons why reality often falls short of the ideal. Ummm... yeah. We tried the 50-50 thing right after we got married. We wrote down the chores and assigned rolls. That lasted for about a few weeks. I look back on that and wish that I had stuck to my guns a little more. We have morphed from a couple trying to make things "fair", to a typical 1950's couple. I can't figure out how it happened. It was gradual and then once I stayed home with the kiddos, BAM! June Cleaver. OK, more like a ragged run down complaining June Cleaver. I am seriously lacking her perkiness and zest for all things domestic.


I am avoiding the laundry and the bathroom that needs to be cleaned. I really do try not to get annoyed about the lack of "fairness', but occasionally I just can help getting ticked. Laundry the never ending "joy" and unloading the dishwasher are my least fav jobs. Jeff's main chore is the lawn. I wish that laundry went dormant like the grass does in the winter. I really shouldn't complain, he really does a lot and is a great father. I still get stuck with the majority of the "fun" jobs. As a teenager, I NEVER thought that I would turn into my mother. I am getting more like her every day. Sigh... now back to mopping the floor, but perhaps I will mix it up and do it anti June Cleaver style with a glass of vino in my hand. Yes, I know I am such a rebel!

1 comment:

Rachel Lyn said...

Am I a freak because I actually like to do laundry? :)

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS