Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

Supermarket loathing


Down the road, about 5 miles away there is a wonderful swank grocery store that offers at least 4 free wine samples, fresh cheese samples, balloons and stickers for the kiddos, and sparkling clean shopping carts. One can stroll about listening to Sarah Mclaughlin being pumped through the bose speakers. The store closest to me, the same chain mind you, is what we affectionately call the ghetto store. I kid you not, today the tune crackling through the speakers was Sir Mix-a-lot's, "Baby Got Back". Don't get me wrong, I am actually a Sir Mix-a-lot fan, but the disparity is blatant. So are the prices, so I stick to the ghetto. Today I saw two children tethered to a shopping cart, they were tandem mind you. Who knew there was a tandem leash?? Not that the tethering did much good the poor woman appeared to be chasing after her cart. After fighting the crowds, I finally get up to the conveyor belt. I am anal about unloading my items. I like to categorize them, veggies go first, then fruits, frozen items...you get it. I grew up going to the commissary and that is what my mother always did to help the baggers out. I do it just because I am that anal. Usually, I figure out that I have grabbed an item that I don't need. Then I am faced with the dilemma, do I nonchalantly stick on the candy rack, or do I give it to the cashier and apologize profusely while getting the stink eye. Today I did well, no extra items, but I did God forbid have coupons. The cashier sighed, rolled his eyes and aggressively began scanning them. Really? Why is it such trouble to DO YOUR JOB? After I paid, I noticed all of my wonderful categorizing had been for naught, there was no bagger and the items were heaped together at the end of the "runway". The cashier made no move to start bagging. I felt like we were in a stale mate, should I be a douche bag and wait for him to bag, or should I just do it the right way. I folded. The tool just stood there and watched me. I was really wishing that Pink's "So What" song was playing through the cheap JVC speakers...Na na na na na I wanna start a fight!

No comments:

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS